Thursday, May 12, 2016

My Little Cricket’s Delay: Our IEP

I dreaded this day but I prepared for success as much as I possibly could. I created a kick butt packet that was well organized and as thorough as possible. It included an outline, reports from all the experts we have seen, all the assessments that have been written as well as updates on progress from all my sons’ current therapists. I dressed in business attire, letting them know that I took this meeting seriously. I hired an advocate to come with me, someone who knew the ins and outs of the law (something that I couldn’t possibly wrap my head around completely with the timeline I had), so they would understand that I wasn’t going to be taken advantage of. I stopped at Starbucks and picked up a box of various pastries to bring with me, after all everyone loves goodies, and maybe the sugar high would give me a tiny little leg up. I left my kids at home with a sitter and let my husband know that my phone would be off and he would be the point person if anything went wrong. I was focused. I was determined. I was as prepared as I could be.


Walking in to the meeting I greeted everyone, after all this was everyone that I had met previously at my son’s assessment meeting, people that I was already getting to know and most importantly like. We had a wonderful assessment team that I feel was very professional and competent. The meeting was long. Each of the five specialists talked about their individual area. Each began with a short segment about how wonderful, how smart, how happy my son was, and then they launched into all his difficulties and delays. Sitting through three hours and listening to people talk about how far behind your kid is totally sucks. None of the team said anything that I do not know, or haven’t heard before, but to hear it all at once was just emotionally exhausting. I excused myself for a break near the end, not because I had to use the restroom, but only because I needed to breathe in silence and regroup my thoughts.

After all the specialists were done with their findings we moved onto phase two of the meeting, setting goals. We only managed to do some quick outlines before we had to call an end to the meeting. We will continue the rest next week in an extension of this meeting. I really wish we could have pushed through and finished, however on the bright side of things (I am all about looking at the bright side of things right now) I will have more time to process everything that I heard and focus on trying to get the goals defined over the next week.

So until next week…and then I will leave you with some IEP humor.


No comments:

Post a Comment